Thursday, June 10, 2010

Elvis's heart beats

I was extremely nervous this morning...
To try and calm myself down I kept repeating in my head "There is a strong heartbeat at 163bpm" not sure where I picked the number but it sounded good.

We went to the clinic and the Top Doctor did the scan himself. First he reviewed my history and said he was very pleased with this result and that now it was a matter of viability.

Wand went in and I could see immediately things were much more advanced than the last time. I said "Something has grown in there..." And then he said the most beautiful words "And there's the heartbeat". I felt a tear coming down my cheek but I tried to stay focused. He measured the heartbeat at 154bpm which he said was excellent (anything above 120bpm he would have been happy with), the gestational sac measures a little small (I have to drink more water!) but he said that was not accurate and it didn't really matter. The yolk-sac measured perfect at 5mm (apparently it should never be bigger than 6mm) and finally little Elvis measured 7w1d which according to my doc it's the exact gestational age I'm at. I thought I was 7w4d today but I remember my friend Wishi had her doc saying the same thing to her! And in any case +/- 3 days is within experimental error. So we are on the proverbial cloud nine... Mike also had red eyes after the scan, so so sweet. Without further ado, meet our little Elvis!


Then the doc went on about finding an OB and gave us some suggestions, I haven't really thought about it at all, it'll be my next step.

On a final note, it seems that anything related to this pregnancy has a cat story associated with it, so to keep the tradition on, we had to bring Patches to the Ultimate Vet Hero. We had stopped all the meds on sunday and sure enough, he had watery eyes and wasn't eating by wednesday evening. I gave him a quarter of my prednisolone pills last night and within two hours he was back the usual Patches, playing and eating! So the plan now is to keep him on low dose steroids for much longer and see how he gets on. A part from that, he's going to get neutered next week! It'll remain a micro-cat apparently!

40 comments:

valentina said...

so much happiness spreads across europe!!

Adele said...

YES!!!!! Fran I'm overjoyed for you. Lovely, lovely Elvis with a lovely heartbeat. This is wonderful news.

Michele said...

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Fran, what wonderful news!!! I am so happy for you and for Elvis! Congrats kiddo!!

The Hopeful Elephant said...

OH look at Elvis! I'm so happy for you and with you! Jumping for joy!

Kate said...

Brilliant news! So happy Elvis has settled in the right place and is thriving.

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

Oh Fran I am so happy!! Elvis is adorable!

Circus Princess said...

I'm doing a happy dance, booty shake and all! Fran, I'm so, so very happy for you, it puts a big, wide smile on my face :)

Anonymous said...

I am so so very happy for you! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I am so so very happy for you! Congrats!

Kim said...

Fran -this is the best news I have heard today!!! So thrilled for you!!!! I have been waiting for this post, so thanks for updating us. Not go be in the moment and enjoy....what a beautiful moment!

Courtney said...

Yay!! What an adorable picture of your little Elvis. So happy for you and your husband!

Best When Used By said...

THERE'S A BABY IN THERE! Oh, Fran, I am so thrilled for you and Mike...I have a tear in my eye too! Last night Bunny awakened me at 12:30 am to feed, and I thought "It's 8:30 a.m. in Ireland right now!" so I knew you were going for your scan. I imagined your excitement/anxiety and just quietly fed the baby and prayed and prayed that you would see a beautiful little Elvis and a glorious flickering heart beat. When it was 1:00 a.m. for me, I thought "Fran knows! She knows the result!" and I wished I could know too!! I have such joy for you and can't wait to follow your pregnancy journey! Many hugs to you! And Elvis is just beautiful!

Mrs. Misfits said...

Such wonderful news, Fran! Elvis has such a strong heartbeat. Congratulations!

jill said...

Yay!! So, so happy for you!!

Flower said...

YES!YES!YES!

Thank God. Fran I am so happy for you.

BelowAverageAthlete said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! So excited for you!

tireegal68 said...

yay - it's a baby!!!!!!
awesome news!

daega99 said...

WONDERFUL!!!! I am so very, very happy!!!!!!!!! Excellent heartbeat!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

BB said...

I can't describe how happy for you!

Three cheers for Elvis!

Fertility Chick said...

YAY!!!! Thrilled for you and your Irish Boy!! Way to go wee Elvis! Sending lots of love from Canada!

Jaymee said...

soooo very happy for you!!!!

Momasita said...

That's so wonderful! Woohoo for a heartbeat! Congratulations my friend.

Also, glad to hear Patches is doing ok.

Melissa G said...

Fantastic News Fran, congratulations!!!!

Mad Hatter said...

Happy happy joy joy for Elvis your little penguin!!!!
Love,
Maddy

stacey said...

Little Elvis is just beautiful:)

Wishing 4 One said...

Fran see I told you girl.... AMAZING AMAZING news I am jumping up and down and around here for you in Cairo! (And you know how I feel about the +/3- LOL, its all good!) Oh Fran, Elvis is beautiful, oh girl I am just overwhelmed with happiness and excitment for you sweetie! THE best news on a very early Friday morning. xoxoxo

linda said...

Yay! All systems are GO!!!!

Alice said...

hooray! so happy to read this post.

Saige said...

WOOOHOOO!!!!

I am so happy for you! I knew this would be a viable pregnancy! This is just such an amazing story. Your little baby will never doubt how much they were wanted.

Congrats you three!

*BIG hugs*

P.S. I guess braiding the dog's hair worked. I will have to try that from now on. ;)

Anonymous said...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I told you so :)

xxx

ALEH said...

what great news! so happy and excited for you!

Photogrl said...

WONDERFUL news!!!

I'm so happy for you!

TwoDogMama said...

Fran I am so, so, so, so, so happy for you! Elvis looks beautiful!!! Congratulations! Sending you much love and hugs from across the ocean.

Blondie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Fran! I've read a lot of things about the post-surgery shoulder pain being "the worst thing ever." Is it that bad?? I'm such a wimp! Surgery totally freaks me out.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Elvis is beautiful. Hooray!

Unknown said...

I'm just now getting caught up on your blog after taking a brief TTC hiatus...I'm so happy that things are looking GREAT! So glad that you guys are figuring out things with Patches too, of course! ;)

Jana said...

Congratulations!! Elvis is in the womb.

I am so happy for you!!!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you, Fran!

Fertility godess said...

Fantastic news. SO happy for you.