Saturday, April 16, 2011

15 weeks and crazy week

Oliver is 15 weeks today! I was thinking lately when I was counting pregnancy weeks. It definitely didn't seem this fast! He is doing very well, we are quite good at sticking to a sleeping routine: he has a nap in the morning (generally in the pram when we are out for our walk) then I'll put him in his crib around 1.30-2pm and he can sleep between 30 mins and 2 hours. Sometimes he has another snooze around 7pm then wakes up for the last feed (between 8 and 9pm) and then back to bed for the night afterwards. In the past week we never had to do the 11pm feed, we lowered the proportion of the low lactose formula and increased the hungry babies one and he's much more satisfied. Hopefully we'll be able to delay solids of any kind for another couple of weeks as recommended. I'm really happy about this. We have also changed the teats in the bottle with a those with a bit faster flow and he seems much happier.

So my last post was on Monday and all was well.

Tuesday started very well. I got awarded grant for a project and let me tell you, these days it ain't easy. Then we got a text that MIL was rushed to hospital as she was unresponsive. I have not updated much on her situation, but after the first amputation back in November they had to operate again in February above the knee as the wound wasn't healing properly. Since then, she was moved to a rehab place (one and half hour drive from Dublin) to start physio. We went visiting her on Sunday and I didn't think she was well. She seemed very frail and weak. But happy to see us and Oliver of course, we went out for coffee and it was a nice afternoon. So the text shocked us no end. The news seemed to be that she had a stroke, probably a very mild one, and when she came round she had no speech issues and only the left arm felt a bit limp and sore. Anyway, she was sent back to the rehab place like nothing happened. I can't say enough how bad small hospitals can be...
On top of this, we had a family of four for dinner. I had prepared pizza since the day before, it was a great evening, but I was wrecked afterwards. We got our video camera and already started filming Oliver (clip will be posted in the near future!).
Wednesday The car seat arrived and Mike fitted it in his car. We went to college together and I had something like 3 meetings (while officially on maternity leave of course). Came home and headed straight to a residents' meeting. Back home around 9.30pm. Quick dinner and straight to bed.
Thursday morning was fine, Oliver and I went for a nice walk in the park and got back home at lunch time. At 2 pm the builders arrived to do work on the attic floor. Oliver didn't sleep at all and by the time they left he was in a mess. Crying, unsettled, tired but couldn't sleep...the works. At 7pm some relatives came to visit. They staid till over 9 pm. Let me just say it didn't help matters. Plus, my period showed up unexpected (24 days since the last time).
Friday I woke up after dreaming I was dead. Seriously. Can you imagine anything more depressing? But it turned out to be quite a good day. Oliver was back to is placid self, I got a lot done, The Ultimate Vet Hero came over for lunch (Patches has an ulcer in his eye, just to add to his load) and told me she'll be moving back to Cali in November. So so sad, I'll miss her a lot, I didn't think she was going to go so soon. But it means we'll definitely go visiting her in Summer 2012. On the other hand, I doubt we'll find another Vet Hero for Patches, let's hope I've learnt enough to keep him alive and well! Then our high-chair arrived wohoo!
And now it's Saturday. Let's recharge the batteries and hoping for a calmer week!

8 comments:

Life Happens said...

Wow, I can't believe he's 15 wks! I can't wait for my Matthew to sleep through the night. But he is slowly getting there with sleeping for four hours straight!

Sounds like you had a hectic week! I hope you are able to recharge. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Alex said...

Definitely a crazy week! Hope some calmness blows through your life soon. And 15 weeks - wow!

Anonymous said...

At this rate Oliver will be bigger than Scout when you come to visit next summer! What a good little baby to eat and sleep so well! So sorry to hear about your MIL having more problems. What a brave soul she is.

Quite a busy week you've had, I hope you're getting some well-deserved rest this weekend.

Kakunaa said...

Isn't it amazing that a "normal" week from pre-baby is crazy hectic post-baby? Glad you got through it! Happy 15 weeks, Oliver!

The Hopeful Elephant said...

I'm so glad MIL is OK. I have been worried!!!

Smooches to you all!

PS it's me Heather!

Feebee said...

A very belated congratulations and big welcome to Oliver!

Fiona (Pomegranate)

Momasita said...

15weeks! Glad to hear he is doing so well! That sounds like a heck of a week.

Adele said...

Ach, what an action-packed week. I'm so sorry about your MIL, Fran:( That's terrible. I'm glad it sounds as though the stroke was a mild one, but I know it's small consolation. I will think very good thoughts that she is heading for a speedy recovery.

And 15 weeks! Lovely news. And I don't blame Oliver for being unsettled at the builders being in all day. That type of thing unsettles me too.